Moving at Godspeed

"We must ruthlessly eliminate hurry from our lives," Dallas Willard once said. This, he believed, is the archenemy for disciples of Jesus in the modern world.

Since I first came across Mr. Willard's wise counsel, those words have stuck to my soul. I believe so, because I know I need that wisdom for I am prone to hurry and distraction. And our hyper-distracted, hyper-connected, ambitious world is a candy store that tempts me daily!

So, as the world slows down amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, my ears are perked. What might God be saying to me - to us - in this?

That is why an article on Christianity Today caught my eye this morning (https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2020/march-web-only/covid-19-coronavirus-congregations-bond-backyard-pilgrims.html) - one telling the story of Matt Canlis' journey - including a trip out of America and to Scotland - of being weaned off his hurry-sickness and into a new "Godspeed" pace in his life.

He learns to slow down, discovers freedom and encounters God like never before.

In addition to the film, he wrote a companion book and study guide about being a "backyard pilgrim".

WEEK 1 - WHAT KIND OF PARENT IS GOD?
Here I AM . . . PREPARING THE NURSERY
WEEK 2 - WHAT MAKES KIDS FLOURISH?
Here i am . . . GOD’S DELIGHT
WEEK 3 - WHAT DO FEARFUL CHILDREN DO?
Here i am . . . GETTING LOST
WEEK 4 - WHO BEGAN TO RISK BEING FOUND?
Here i am . . . NOT HIDING
WEEK 5 - WHERE WAS JESUS FOUND FOR US?
Here I AM . . . IN YOUR SHOES
WEEK 6 - WHAT HAS JESUS DONE FOR US?
Here I AM . . . MAKING YOU CHILDREN AGAIN
TWILIGHT - WHAT IS JESUS DOING FOR US NOW?
Here I AM . . . FINDING LOST CHILDREN

So, we can't leave America right now and head to Scotland. Heck, we can't even leave our backyards!

Where is God in this? Where am I?

So as we are learning to slow down, whether we like it or not, maybe his film and questions are a good guide for us in this kairos moment.

(I know not everyone is slowing down - Medical professionals, journalists, computer scientists and IT workers are doing overtime. But, generally speaking, at unprecedented levels, the world is shutting down. India and South Africa announced nationwide lock downs this week.)

Also - check out this reflection at the Rabbit Room, looking at the prophet Jeremiah's wisdom for slowing down. https://rabbitroom.com/2018/01/living-godspeed/

Comments

Popular Posts