Interpreting the difficulties and obstacles we face

 In the midst of a difficult day recently, I shot off to Amber: "I feel like God is opposing me today." I felt sick, I had no motivation to do some work which I felt "urgently" needed to be completed, I felt anxious and couldn't focus. I had awoke that morning feeling a need to spend time in prayer that day, but I had avoided the nudge.

I have things to do. Important things, right?

So, when I couldn't get said "things" accomplished that day, my thoughts drifted back to that early morning nudge toward prayer. I rashly concluded that God was "opposing" my speediness toward productivity and avoidance of spiritual practices - that is, avoidance of his presence. The word "oppose" is what came to my vocabulary.

Amber responded, "Why do you say oppose? Maybe he is pursuing you?"

Touche.

We have a real enemy who wants us to doubt God. Is he really for you? Is he really for you? Is he really for you?

Yes, he disciplines his children, just as a loving earthly father. Sometimes, the obstacles and difficulties are "discipline" from the severe mercy of God who loves us more than he loves our temporary comfort.

In Christ, we have the promise that God is for us. He won't let us go. He is a Father looking out for our best interests. He delights in us. He longs for us to taste and savor his goodness and share that glory with others.

Last night while reading Queen of Katwe - which was merely just the context and really has nothing to do with what I saw - I had a brief moment where a vision popped in my head of a man putting an invitation in the mailbox to send to his fiancee.

An invitation.

So, rather than saying "oppose", I'm going to think more about the language of "invitation."

It's not just semantics. It's theology. It's renewing my mind in what God says about himself, and not listening to the distortions of my imperfect flesh nor the voice of satan who is the father of lies.

Recall the words of the prophet Isaiah. He records, beautifully, an invitation to God's people - those who have strayed from the covenant:


Come, all you who are thirsty,

    come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
    come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
    without money and without cost.
Why spend money on what is not bread,
    and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
    and you will delight in the richest of fare.
Isaiah 55



Comments

Popular Posts