Foreign Fruits

While browsing at the farmer's market, I was about to purchase a bundle of vine-ripened, juicy red tomatoes. But, as I passed the five dollar bill across the table, these unfamiliar green and yellow tomatoes caught my eye. "What are those?" I inquired. The man, a veteran farmer from near Mt. Vernon, quickly replied, "Zebra tomatoes. They're delicious. Juicy and tart." Always an adventurer when it comes to cuisine, I passed on the juicy reds and snagged the eye-grabbing Zebras. A lover of tart things, I was not dissapointed. Next to peach tomatoes, these little guys are my pick when it comes to biting into the ever-variable summer-season fruit. 




 Home alone for dinner that night, I was in the mood for something quick (where's the box of mac-n-cheese and a can of tuna when you need it?), but semi-nutritious so I decided to see what I could whip up out of my market fresh zebra tomatoes and kale.

Here's what found it's way into the pan - it was so good I had to pass it on.

Olive oil
Fresh garlic
White onion, finely chopped
Kale stems, finely chopped
Kale leaves
Leftover oven-roasted potatoes
Zebra tomatoes, coarsely chopped
White balsamic vinegar
Salt
Fresh cracked pepper
Cumin
Over-easy egg to top it off.





Comments

Popular Posts