Four Visitors

I experienced something new on Saturday. To frame it in, this house is the first house Amber and I have lived in, the first time we've had a front porch, and basically the first time I have had "neighbors" having grown up in rural Sparta.

While sitting on the front porch, working on Amber's bike, four boys approached the house, looking for Coach. Coach is John Geiger, who lived here before us. He helped coach some football in the neighborhood. The boys quickly realized he doesn't live there anymore, but I invited them up on the porch.

These kids are between 9 and 13 years old and have grown up here in Binghampton. They weren't shy about making themselves at home on our porch, staking out on the porch swing. We tossed a football around and one of 'em worked on fixing the bike with me. After a bit, they expressed interest in going to the Library, so I drove them over and picked them up later in the afternoon.

The two older kids came by again yesterday, ringing the doorbell only minutes after we woke up from a Sunday afternoon snooze.

I'm not sure yet what influence God is calling us to have on these young neighborhood kids, but I see great things in them - future leaders in Memphis and in God's kingdom. After only two weeks, Amber and I are already learning many lessons about what a "neighbor" is.

Comments

Stacey Lovett said…
Pretty cool

Popular Posts