Preparing for what's ahead

Amber and I don't start our new jobs until Monday, but yesterday I got a call from my "boss", Steve. He was trying to juggle two different refugee families who needed transportation, and he said he would possibly need my assistance. One family of six needed to visit the dentist, the other was an emergency involving a mother going into labor.

I had to stop for a moment and take a deep breath: I'm not in campus ministry anymore! Not only will we be working with adults and children, but they are refugees from war-torn nations trying to survive in a foreign land.

It turned out that Steve survived the day without my assistance, but it was a good wake up call to prepare for the work ahead. Steve took Amber and I and two of my new co-workers, Catherine and Peter, out for dinner last night. We went to Young Ave Deli, a local fav. The sandwiches were creative and tasty. The sweet potato fries were probably the best I've ever had and I was also introduced to deep fried artichoke hearts. Yum!

Better than the food, our new friends are awesome. Random fact of the day: all four of us working with Refugee Resettlement this year took Latin in high school. Weird.

Comments

Popular Posts