Day 1 on the job

Amber and I woke up today. That was a great start to the week. And we both headed off for our first day at our new jobs, Amber at the Binghampton Development Corporation (see sidebar) and me at Christ Community Health Services.

More specifically, I am working with Christ Community Ministries and a new outreach to the somewhat large and previously ignored refugee community here in Memphis. This specific ministry is headed up by Nathan and Steve, the latter of which I will be working with more directly. There are also a few other interns I am working with: Catherine, Peter, Madeline and John. I am so pumped about the team I get to work with!

Our first week is going to pretty much be an orientation to a world that is much different than the one we all have mostly grown up with. Today, Nathan, Steve, Peter, Catherine and I (the other two will arrive later) spent the morning sharing our stories with one another and praying for each other. I was really moved by what God has been doing in their lives - what a great way to start our year together.

Steve took us out to lunch at Soul Fish, which was another fantastic selection - I've tasted some great food down here! Afterwards, we spent some time studying Colossians 4:2-6 and 2 Peter 4:7-11, to lay some framework for our ministry this year. We wrapped up the day by gaining some orientation to the specific refugees and apartment complexes we will be working with, as well as familiarizing ourselves with Catholic Charities which is the current receiving organization for these refugees.

I couldn't have asked for more for our first day on the job. It's going to be an emotionally and relationally taxing year, but an incredible opportunity to love and serve a marginalized group of "the nations" right here in Memphis.

Comments

Popular Posts