Two Thousand and Nine


Happy New Year, everyone.

2008 has come and gone and 2009 has peaked its head in the doorway to come and sit with us for a spell.

I am hopeful and optimistic about what God has in store for this year for Amber and I, for our families, our church, our friends and our planet. The easy thing to do would be to give in to fear and be a pessimist about where "everything" is headed after an ugly season in '08 for the global economy, natural disasters, corrupt politicians, etc. But as I sit here at my desk, I would like to embrace hope and faith, while still living in sober tension over the tragic state throughout much of our planet - global food crisis, global climate crisis, terrorism, unemployment, disease, slavery, apathy, unconscious over-consumption, etc. I would like to join in with Christ, who taught us to pray, "Our Father, blessed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

So, as I sit here thinking about the 364 more days of 2009 that lie ahead, I'm remembering the words of the ancient prophet, Moses, who said, "Teach us to number our days aright that we may gain a heart of wisdom."

Part of "numbering my days aright" is stopping to actively think about what kind of person I want to be. For some, that means one thing at this time of year: New Year's resolutions. I'm not writing any resolutions in stone, as it were, but I am stopping today to reflect on the "Rhythm of Life" that I would like to be engaged in this year.

As I was jotting down some thoughts, a song by Andrew Osenga played on iTunes. I thought it was acutely appropriate to what I've been thinking about today and for us all as we start the new year. The song is called "ball game" and you can listen to it here: http://www.andyosenga.com/mp3/theballgame.mp3.

I had to pause when I heard some of these lyrics:
"Show me what to hold and what is in the way"
"This is the one life, these are the passing days"
"I don't want to look back to see I've wasted"

I haven't decided yet if I will post the final "draft" of my Rhythm of Life. We're going to be leaving for Honduras early Saturday morning. Amber and I are getting excited!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing your thoughts as we approach the New Year. I appreciate how you are holding the tension between the terrifying reality for many and at the same time having a sense of hope and faith that comes from living out a tranformational rhythm of life. Thanks for the reminder. I also really enjoyed my conversation with you yesterday. Looks like you are reading some good books as well. Peace.

Popular Posts