Dear Tony

For probably four years now, Tony Campolo has been a source of great inspiration to me as I follow Christ. This passionate, prophetic and candid Jesus-loving Italian from Philly often challenges my ways of thinking and my proclivity for passivity and comfort. If you are not familiar with Tony Campolo, I would suggest you check him out. He'll probably kick you in the butt.

Tony is not without his share of controversy, but that does not prohibit me from listening to him, learning from his experiences and wisdom and seeing the love of Christ in him (and I like controversial people...Jesus anyone?). I was first introduced to Mr. Campolo by my pastor, Wayne, and began by just listening to old sermons on his website. Then I began reading some of his writings, such as 20 Hot Potatoes Christians are Afraid to Touch, Red Letter Christians and The God of Intimacy and Action. Lately, I've really enjoyed his podcast series that he does with Gene Dillard. You can subscribe here.

Recently, I've been in a place of more intentionally seeking God's wisdom and vision for Amber's and my future. That has involved talking with others who have more life experience and a heart for Christ and his kingdom. So, one day I got to thinking: "Why not just write a letter to Tony and see what happens? Afterall, they said on the podcast to write him!"

So, I sat down and wrote him a letter. Honestly, I didn't fully expect to hear back from him. I mean, this is a guy who has a lot on his plate. But after about four weeks, I got a letter in the mail from St. Davids, PA, and there is only one person I know from St. Davids. Tony shared some honest thoughts about campus ministry, graduate school and even responded to a random question I asked about his marriage.

Thanks, Tony. You're a swell guy. Christ shines through you. Keep on keepin' on for the kingdom!

Comments

Anonymous said…
So, I would love to see the letter. That is cool that you had the faith to write and he responded.
Jonathan King said…
Pretty cool, eh? Yeah, I'd love to share it with you.

Popular Posts