The Old Testament

A few months ago, I mentioned that I was finding myself tangled in all kinds of questions related to the Old Testament and its continuity with the New Covenant and the Christian faith. Now that summer is here, I have decided to tackle that lengthy beast head on. I began studying an Old Testament survey textbook today (haven't picked up a textbook in 2.5 years, except to sell some old ones on Amazon!). I say all this to keep myself accountable to this endeavor. I already find myself getting tangled in new questions, such as "What presuppositions am I bringing into my reading of the OT?"

This encouragement from Paul in his letter to the Romans has given me motivation in this study:
"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."

Speaking of Paul, here's a random quote from a Money book that I am reading right now at Aroma. The context is a comparison of the Apostle Paul's life with that of his contemporary, Caesar. "2000 years later, people around the world recognize which of these two men made the eternally important contribution. They name their children after [Paul] (the prisoner) and their salads after the emperor!"

Comments

Popular Posts