Never Fails.

Love is patient. Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.


Love never fails.


Those last three words hung over me like a fog that wouldn't lift. Their gravity pulled me in, deeper and deeper. Before, the words of this famous passage ran together as one lofty view of what true love is. It is what we should aspire to. It is the love that a husband and a wife should have for one another--at least it seems to always be read at weddings.

But those last three words. I just couldn't get them out of my head. "That's the love I have for you." That's what I sensed, deep in my gut. God's love never fails me. His love always finds me. A simple truth that constantly evades me, leaving me feeling helpless, feeling like I need to do something to earn his favor. That I need to have just the right amount of sorrow before he will remove my transgression from his memory.

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the further, nor any powers, neither heighth nor depth, nor anything else in all of creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39

It defies logic, but I have to continually stand on this truth. Otherwise? I wouldn't be standing on much of anything.

Comments

Popular Posts