Who is it all about?


I was reading some discussion online recently and one man in his comments recalled the following situation that unfolded while driving with his daughter.

My five-year-old daughter read a billboard this weekend for real estate. Their tagline:
"It's all about you."

A few minutes later we stopped behind a car with a similar bumper sticker. It read:
"It's all about me."

Those sentences...reflect the new age tendency that each individual can define his own God. Or as my daughter put it, "Those people are silly, Daddy. Don't they know it's all about God."
I've always heard that "kids say the darndest things," but I've also heard this one: "From the lips of children and infants You have ordained praise." I think that little girl had it right and how often we lose sight of that infinte Truth. It's all about God. It always has been and it always will be.

I was reminded of the fragility of life this week when I got a call from a close friend that one of his close friends, a guy who I was around all last summer at Colorado LT, was killed in a car accident. 22 years old. The joy in the midst of this tragedy is that Tyler knew it's all about God. He was living a life that said so and I pray others may find Life because of Tyler's commitment to Christ.

It's not all about me.

I struggle when I wake up in the morning, when I stand in line at the supermarket, when I am working, when I am eating, when I am with friends and family, when I am having leisure time and when I go to sleep thinking that it is all about me. It's a daily fight for Truth. Why? Because media, Hollywood and advertising that overwhelm our senses on a daily basis say that it is all about me. And shoot, my own self says that it's about me. Why would I want to give up something temporarily good for myself or my pleasure so that another could have something they need? Or why would I want to give up something here and now so that I can have eternal life which isn't exactly something I can see with my physical eyes or touch or taste or smell?

Is this the language of someone who thought "it's all about me?":

"Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."
"It is better to give than to receive."
"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
-Jesus

Comments

Popular Posts