Comm-Unity

This morning I was reviewing some notes I had taken on Paul's first letter to the Corinthian church from a few months back, and I felt compelled to just share one passage and subsequent parallel passages (I don't like just grabbing verses out of context, I really don't, but I think these particular passages are fairly cut and dry) with you that really hit home on the subject of unity within Christ's body.

I was listening to a message by Rob Bell a couple days ago, and in it he was discussing Moses and Pharoah and why God would choose to work through a human man to free His people, the Israelites, and Rob used that scenario to springboard into a discussion of his belief that throughout history, since that moment in Egypt, God has been looking for a body to inhabit on this earth to display his glory and bring shalom to this earth. Today, after the resurrection of Christ, we the church are Christ's body and in order to reach a hurting, rebellious, lonely and hungry world, we must be unified. To be unified, we've gotta give and lay down our selfish ambitions (Jesus said that we have no greater love than when we lay down our lives for our friends!). So, enough of my chatter, here are the passages on unity:

Divisions in the Church

1 Cor 1:10 “Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.” NASB

John 17:22-23 ” The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.” NIV

Romans 12:16 “Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation.” NASB

Romans 12:16 “Live in harmony with each other. Don't try to act important, but enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don't think you know it all!” NLT

Romans 12:18 "Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible."

Phil 1:27 “Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel.” NIV

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is a great article JK, you know unity among denominations is something I am passionate about. Great set of verses to back up the idea!!!

Popular Posts