Recognition


I just wanted to share part of Isaiah 40 with you this morning. It is one of my favorite passages in scripture for two reasons: humility and it closes with a promise. One cannot escape the fact that we have so little control over the workings in our world, yet God has so graciously included us. The end of the text includes a promise to those who would place their hope in him: you will find renewed strength in this life. God has lavished love on us and allows us to be a part of the big story, but remember this:


Who has understood the mind of the LORD,
or instructed him as his counselor?

Whom did the LORD consult to enlighten him,
and who taught him the right way?
Who was it that taught him knowledge
or showed him the path of understanding? ...

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
and its people are like grasshoppers.
He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
and spreads them out like a tent to live in...

"To whom will you compare me?

Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One.

Lift your eyes and look to the heavens:
Who created all these?
He who brings out the starry host one by one,
and calls them each by name.
Because of his great power and mighty strength,
not one of them is missing.

Why do you say, O Jacob,
and complain, O Israel,
"My way is hidden from the LORD;
my cause is disregarded by my God"?

Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

I hope we can defeat the urges within that lead us to want to exchange the glory of God for the glory of man and creation. If you want to seek out wisdom on this topic, I recommend listening to John Piper's series of talks on Romans 12:1-2. You can find them here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good Post!!!

Anyway I wanted to say hi and that I miss hanging out with you. I don't know if I told you yet, but I moved into Kyle's place for the summer and next year. I took over Ben's spot. So you should come down for the opening of Superman!!! Hope everything is going well.

Peace,
Chuck
Anonymous said…
Dear Jon,
I'm writting you a dear Jon letter...that's exciting. So i read you're blog...finally...not bad son. I skimmed the pointless stuff :)

Keep on keepin on,

Fred
Anonymous said…
Jon,
This post is incredible, i think you are incredible...

Can i come and be your understudy for the next year?

Holla Back,
JR
Anonymous said…
Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

Popular Posts