(after)Life.


My last post addressed a small portion of my thoughts on this life, in which we feel a beating heart, or feel the pain of a headache, or see the beauty of a sunset, or taste freshly baked cookies or smell the odor or manure. It's also the life in which the media and entertainment industry tells us, "Live for now and make yourself happy with lots of stuff." There's a song out (yes, it's a country song, one of the few times you'll hear me quoting one) that says, "I've never seen a hearse with a luggage rack." I'm not discounting this life or suggesting that it has no bearing on anything, but the complete opposite is true. It means more than we could ever imagine. Here are a few thoughts from a few men on this subject:

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probably explanation is that I was made for another world." C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this." C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Paul, Letter to the Colossians

"Don't store up treasures here on earth, where they can be eaten by moths and get rusty, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where they will never become moth-eaten or rusty and where they will be safe from thieves. Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be." Jesus, Gospel of Matthew







Comments

Popular Posts