Dreaming of Africa


A couple days back, I randomly found myself at the website of Iris Ministries, an interdenominational mission in Mozambique, one of the poorest countries in the world. I got engulfed in the website, reading about their work of ministering to the poor of the southeastern African nation, and about how God is turning hearts to him.

Two days later, I found myself once again intertwined with mission work in Africa. It was just today, actually. I spent the afternoon visiting with Bob & Alene Holloway, from Sparta, who have been doing mission work in Malawi for the past 10 years. Alene has worked closely with the medical mission at Embangweni and Bob has done some great work to help the locals with agricultural needs, involving soybeans, soy milk, wells, construction and more. Bob showed me this snazzy soy milk machine that churns out six cups of soy milk, which he has introduced them to. Soy milk provides the much needed protein that young kids need for maximum potential growth and the leftover pulp is rich in nutrients as well, making it great for soups and baby food. Children who move past nursing, enter a world of malnutrition, where their diet consists of starch and more starch. Malawi, largely a Christian nation and a self-instituted democracy, is a safe and extremely kind-hearted place, where the women work doubly hard and smiles are abound. Unfortunately, AIDS is also a tremendous problem and many Malawians in remote areas struggle with subsistence farming. Low on natural resources, Malawi does have natural beauty however, particularly in its prized Lake Malawi.

Now that I think about it, a couple weeks back, I enjoyed breakfast with John Baker, a former missionary of 17 years in Botswana and Zimbabwe, two countries that I have actually visited. Botswana, rich in natural resources and wildlife, is a beautiful country, the richest in Africa as well, I believe. Zims are some of the kindest, most warm-hearted people you'll find in southern Africa, but with the state of unrest, thanks to Mugabe, I'm not sure if I'd venture back there anytime soon. Maybe someday...

Perhaps I'll end up in Malawi, Mozambique, Botswana or Zim someday...only God knows. Southern Africa seems to be a theme here... But my passion lies in working with college students for now, helping them to find a purpose for their lives that comes through knowing Jesus Christ. There's much that can be said on this topic, but I have others things needing my attention for now.

Comments

Popular Posts